WW1 British Biplane Birdhouse
This hand crafted hanging WW1 British Biplane birdhouse is made from cedar. In 1915, Sopwith produced a personal aircraft for the company's test pilot Harry Hawker, a single-seat, tractor biplane powered by a seven-cylinder 50 hp Gnome rotary engine. This became known as Hawker's Runabout; another four similar aircraft have been tentatively identified as Sopwith Sparrows. Sopwith next developed a larger fighter that was heavily influenced by this design, though more powerful and controlled laterally with ailerons rather than by wing warping. The resulting aircraft was a single-bay, single-seat biplane with a fabric-covered wooden framework and staggered equal-span wings. The prototype and most production Pups were powered by the 80 hp (60 kW) Le Rhône 9C rotary engine. The Royal Flying Corps (RFC) placed large orders for Pups. The RFC orders were undertaken by sub-contractors Standard Motor Co. and Whitehead Aircraft. This functional birdhouse includes starter kit of nesting material. Easy clean out in nose of plane. Hole size: 1 1/4" Birds: Nuthatches, Wrens, Downy Woodpeckers and Titmouse. Overall size: 10 1/4" x 16" x 15"